1/2 c softened butter
zest from one lemon OR 1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c sugar OR honey
1 large egg at room temperature
2 c flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c buttermilk OR whole milk OR heavy cream OR half and half
2 c thinly sliced rhubarb
1 tsp salt
cinnamon sugar for dusting
1) Preheat oven to 350degrees. Grease 9” square pan, or small cast iron pan, and set aside. In medium bowl, cream together butter, lemon, and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
2) Toss rhubarb in 1/4 c flour. In separate mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
3) Add the flour mixture slowly into the creamed butter, alternating with buttermilk. Gently fold in rhubarb.
4) Spread batter into prepared pan, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through.
5) Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy with coffee and friends.